Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Welcome To Acres Of Grace

Welcome to Acres of Grace! It occured to me (with a few hints:) that I have never really introduced anyone to the wonder that is Acres of Grace, nor have I made proper introductions of the animals who reside here. Acres of Grace and the animals that inhabit it rests on 150 acres of hay fields, gently rolling hills, forest and marsh land. There are trails cut into some of the forest for horseback riding, my passion. The above picture is one of my favorite. This is the weeping willow tree in the front yard. So gorgeous in the winter isn't it? Reminds me of a winter wonderland...

This is one of the back hay fields, adjacent to the summer horse fields. I ride through these fields on a regular basis and they are beautiful, especially in the fall when all the trees have turned a multitude of colours.

In the summer months the horses get their water from the pond via a pump. I do not allow them access to the pond itself, but pump their water from it to a tub they can reach. The pond is beautiful and full of many different species of wildlife, both in it and around it. It is a main water source for numerous wild animals that abound on the land.

This is the natural habitat that my horses and llamas live and thrive in. They just look so peaceful being able to be in a natural setting. I know that I am very lucky to be able to give my crew this kind of living situation and I am definitely not knocking barns, stalls or boarding stables. I have used all of those and at times miss them. Stalls are a definite advantage to reducing some illnesses such as mudfever and rainrot. I am a nature buff at heart and truly love the outdoors, the trees, the flowers and wildlife. I am happy to be able to watch my horses in such a setting, as thay have taken on the dynamics of a wild herd.

Some of the other residents of the farm. My uncle owns and breed sheep and goats. They have a doneky as their trusty guard. I do not have much to do with this aspect of the farm, however I do help out with deworming, ear tagging and anything else that needs to be done. I do love the lambing season, those baby lambs are so cute!

In the posts below you will have a chance to be properly introduced to my crew of horses and llamas and to get some little tidbits of information to help you get to know these wonderful friends of mine.

No comments: