Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Story of My Boys - Buck & Ace

Barn Name: Buck
Nicknames: Bucky, Bucker, Buckley, Buckles.......... ***k (only when he's naughty) :)
Age: 12 years
Breed: Registered Quarter Horse
Job: Trail Horse Extrodinare

You've met Buck before. He is a regular star on this blog. He is a great trail horse, a bit spirited at times, but nonetheless fun to be with and generally well behaved. This boy is a ex-race horse and likes to move out. He came malnourished and very underweight. He had lice and his hair fell out. You can see from the above pic that he was underweight. His ribs were showing, he needed weight on his bum, hips, shoulders and especially his back. He looked very old and very tired in the above pic. Much older than his 12 years of age. When he first came he was in such bad shape that he did not run and spent most of his time lying down because he was just too worn out.

This is Bucky now. His arthritis is managed and we are now able to canter in the fields without pain. We spend lots of time together and have fun. I had not been to visit my horses for about 2 weeks (had a friend care for them) as I had a death in the family. Well today I verntured out, not really feeling upto much but wanting to see my crew. Well as soon as I saw my boy he came right over. I decided to hop on and go for a ride. He took my for a great little 30 minute ride along the road and I finally found my smile again. Thanks buddy!

Barn Name: Ace
Nicknames: Ace Man, Acer, Big Fella
Age: 16 months
Breed: Registered Paint
Job: Terrorize the big guys, Chase the llamas, Attention Hog
Future Plans: Fantastic Trail Horse

Aw my little Ace Man! He is a little cutie. He can be full of energy at times, but that is just his age. He will be broke to saddle next summer and commence his life long destiny as my trail horse. He gets lots of attention and tried his hand this summer at being in parades and shows. He did awesome and I even recieved an offer to buy him. I politely declined. My little Ace man is here to stay!

No comments: