Monday, December 3, 2007

Gracie's Story

The day Gracie was rescued from the meat auction. Underweight, wormy and scared. Her mane, which is now so long and beautiful had been roached off. I am eternally greatful to S.A.D Horse Rescue for saving my girl. She is so special. She is 'Amazing Grace'. Note in this picture she was almost 5 months pregnant. It is amazing that Blaze was a big as he was a birth, because Gracie was starved for the first part of her pregnancy.

Here is Gracie after her assessment and rehabilitation, and after I oficially purchased her :) She was out in the snow with her friends Pat and Sunshine. You can see how much bigger she had grown (In hind sight because she was preggers) after having access to good quality hay.

She looks very pregnant here! I guess this is why Blaze was such a big baby! its amazing the difference in her pictures from the day she was saved and the day she came home.....
This is the first picture I saw of Gracie and this is the image of her that I fell in love with. She looks (and is) so gentle and loving. She just wants attention, a nice grooming session and someone to love her. I fell in love with her when I saw this picture, not just because of her beauty but because of her prescence.

When I went out to the rescue to meet her she was everything I imagined and more. After I had walked her and groomed her I took off her halter so she could go back and eat. Well she did not leave, she stood right by my shoulder as I spoke to the owners of the rescue. Gracie chose me as much as I chose her. The owners told me later "Grace generated a lot of interest with her beauty but it has never felt right until you came along". Thank you A&M for saving my girl, and thank you Gracie for choosing me.
About 5 months after I bought her she had a beautiful colt. No one knew she was pregnant, in fact we did not find out until 5 weeks before she gave birth. Blaze is wonderful too, he is like his mama and I am so lucky ot have them both in my life.
Gracie today. She has come so far. There have been hard times, good times, stressful times and wonderful times. She and I have grown together and have both learned about life, love and believing in someone. My farm is going to be called "For the Love of Grace Farm" and it is my tribute to this wonderful horse whom I love dearly and will be with forever. Gracie has found her forever home with me, and I am so lucky to have her in my life.


And thats the story of how Gracie came into my life.

No comments: